Post Cards from the Edge Life Is Good! - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 | Welcome to Fred’s Home Page

Life Is Good! - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 

San Francisco Opera House (War Memorial Building). 

What follows below is a recount of the last two days of my life.

I just completed a flying trip to San Francisco for three operas.  The operas were, as usual, excellent.  I took the SuperShuttle to my bed and breakfast as an experiment.  It was $39 (tip included) round trip versus $45 (no tip included) for a taxi so that worked out fine.  However, my flight was late arriving (2 hours) so my scheduled massage was a wash.  Good news!  They didn’t charge my credit card since I called them and left a message canceling. 

I was up at 3:45 am of the morning of departure to be outside and ready for the SuperShuttle pick up at 4:30 am.  Bad news.   It was raining and they didn’t arrive on time and when it did arrive, totally missed the address.  The driver finally found me and good news, I made it to the flight in time.

We were all settled on the flight on the tarmac ready for take off and a flight delay was announced.  Apparently there was moisture in the cockpit.  They were trying to determine whether or not it was from condensation or, more severely, a leak in the windshield.  It was one of those rare rainy days in October in San Francisco or it would not have been an issue.  It was determined to be a leak, so back to the terminal.  We off loaded, and United took the plane out of service.  We were told to check with the United gate for rerouting.  The gate wanted nothing to do with us so they passed us to the United Information Desk - all 259 passengers - at one time.  They quickly collapsed under the load.  We were then handed a piece of paper with a telephone number to call.  A very nice gentleman tried to reroute me but as quickly as a seat was found, it was taken before he had time to do the key stroke. 

In the end, the best he could do was fly me to Newark and then to Fort Lauderdale - on the red eye that night at 11:20 pm.  I now had 15 hours in San Francisco airport.  I quickly decided to return to the city and get the massage I missed.  I took BART and found out quickly how easy it is.  I had done so once before but was a little leery of trying it for real again.  In essence, $16 for round trip and it took less time than the shuttle.  I quickly got off at Powell Street station and walked up one flight of stairs to the MUNI to go to my massage appointment.  So the good news here is I got my massage and learned a new, cheaper way to get to my bed and breakfast from the airport. 

I took BART back to the airport and had 5 hours to kill.  Most of it was spent in the United lounge watching the National League Championship at ATT field in San Francisco.  There were quite a few Giants fans at the bar, and as you know, it turned out to be a great night for the Giants. 

Believe it or not, I did actually doze a little on the flight.  I can never sleep on air planes but the 5 hour flight to Newark must have taken its toll.  In any event, I got to Fort Lauderdale 15 minutes early.  Bad news.  My luggage was not on the carousel.  United Luggage Claim was next tot he carousel so I hot footed it over there.  Good news!  The luggage had beat me to Fort Lauderdale and was quickly found.

© Fred Searcy 2017